Tuesday, August 08, 2006

In Memorium

The layouts completed today were done in memory of my Grandfather who passed away, peacefully, yesterday at the age of 76. He was a great man and I will miss him dearly. I have not seen him in more than 3 years and I am truly sorry for that. He was always there for me when I needed him. No matter what I was doing in life, I could count on him to be there on those important days.
This first layout was created using a background paper from Veronica Culley's Simplicity Duos Purple kit, available at Digitals. I also used a paper from Glenda Ketcham's Sibby Goes to Kindergarten kit to create his name. The graphics used were obtained from Elder High School in Cincinnati Ohio, where my grandfather graduated from many years ago. The wordart phrases used on this layout are from many different designers, obtained mostly from 1HourScrap.
This second layout was done using a quick page. I have searched all through my files and can't figure out where I got it from .. I can't find the original quick page on my computer anywhere now. The font that I used is Gracey's Curse. The wordart was created by Sue Jones for the July It's Only Words challenge at Digitals. I had "fun" adding the pictures to this page. It was neat to see all of the old photos.
The third layout I created for his memorial is also a quick page. The wordart is from the daily download at 1HourScrap. I can't figure out where the quick page came from .. that seems to be a trend today. I love this photo though. It is of my grandfather with my nephews last summer. It saddens me though, because I know that I do not have any pictures of him with my own children.
The third layout from this morning is a great example of how my grandfather was always there for me. These two photos were taken when I graduated from college and on the day I got commissioned as an Army Officer. He supported me in everything that I did. I will truly miss him.
This layout is my favorite out of the ones that I have done for him. I love the way that it turned out. I used Lori Imel's Classic Black and White kit to create the layout. My grandfather was one of the biggest Elder High School fans that I have ever met. I remember times when I was younger when we would walk over to "The Pit" as their stadium was known, to see what was going on because we saw the lights on from our house. Friday nights were spent there cheering on "The Pride of Price Hill" while I was growing up. I returned home from college on friday nights to attend football games with him. The photo on this layout is his Elder High School Senior Portrait.

I cannot take credit for this next layout. I was having a really hard time coming up with something for this gorgeous photo. I asked Lori for some advice and input. When I couldn't do it I asked her to help me out. She graciously agreed and did up this wonderful layout.
This is my final layout today. I am headed to bed in a few minutes. I couldn't come up with anything for the color photo of my grandfather in the Army. But I had better luck with the black and white version. For this layout I used the Army Of One kit from Cristy Sturm at Butternug Squash Designs. The wordart was from there also and is free.
I hope you have enjoyed looking at the layouts that I am doing to remember my grandfather. A few more will probably be done tomorrow.

1 comment:

~~~Hummie~~~ said...

Gina! I'm so happy that you have found scrapping to be a blessing in that it is good therapy to work through your sorrows. I'm not sure I could have done it so soon as you, but I'm so happy for you that it has helped your through this difficult time. Keep your heart up these next few days. God will help you through it.