Thursday, July 05, 2007

Mission: Support Our Troops


I have been AWOL from here for quite a while .. for that I am truly sorry. I feel like such a slacker. I promise to get better though. Mitch left this morning for the field and will be gone, for the most part, for the next 19 months. He is doing training for the next month and then will return home for a few days and head off to school in Georgia. He is due to return here to Baumholder around the 17th of November. His unit is deploying to Iraq some time that month .. so he will come home and deploy right away. In preparation for his deployment and in support of those already deployed we have started a new campaign at Digitals. Mission: Support Our Troops. We are asking people to submit 12x12 layouts @ 300dpi. These layouts will be gathered and made into a video. It will be shown when his unit leaves for Iraq this fall. We are offering to send it to other units that are deployed as well. This is to show them that they are appreciated and that we support them in what they are doing. So, whether you believe in the war or not, let's believe in our troops. Show them that you care and send them a message from home. Every person that submits a layout will receive a Patriotic Mini-Kit made by Selana. Here are a few of the layouts that I have submitted for this great cause ... the first is a simple thank you message from our family and well wishes for all of the service members who are serving overseas right now. For this page I used the Mini-Kit that Selana is providing as a gift for those who participate. The second layout is pretty straight forward and to the point ... Some Heroes Wear Capes ... Mine Wear Combat Boots! My third submission was inspired by a poster that I saw on the Air Force website and by the lyrics from a Toby Keith song. I used Lori Imel's US Army Forever kit to create this page. It's one of my favorites. Right now I have one more page that I have submitted for this project. This one was inspired by a website that I found to purchase an MP3 version of the song whose lyrics I used for the layout. A Soldier Coming Home by Ned McElroy & Jerry Williams. This is one of my favorite songs. It was definitely true the last time that Mitch was deployed and I'm sure it will be true again this time too. I really enjoyed making this page. I used the flag background paper from Glenda Ketcham's Red, White & American Blue kit. Photos shown are all my family and friends. Anyway ... I hope that you have enjoyed seeing the layouts that I have submitted. Stop by the Mission: Support Our Troops gallery at Digitals to submit your own or see ones submitted by others. I can't wait to see how many layouts get submitted for this great cause. A few other digital scrapbooking sites have done similar projects in the past few months and their participation was fantastic ... lets hope the folks that hang out at Digitals can do just as good a job, if not better.

No comments: